Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Let's Catch Up

Do you know what is nice? Sunshine. It is very nice. Incredibly nice actually! So, I thought to myself why not make a breakfast inspired by sunshine? After cross referencing this idea with ideas of the past, it passed with flying colors. I introduce to you, sunshine overnight oats.

Sunshine Overnight Oats

1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup milk
1/2 banana, mashed
1/8 tsp orange extract
Goodies:
1 kiwi, chopped
1/2 peach, chopped
1 Tbsp shredded coconut
1 Tbsp granola

To start, mash half a banana in a bowl. Add in oats, milk, and extract. Give it a stir, then pop it into the fridge to do magical things overnight. I topped my oats with peach and kiwi slices, coconut, and granola. It could not have been more fantastic! The orange extract really gave it an extra special something. It did not overpower the oats at all; I was kind of nervous about it being horribly orange tasting.

I also served mine in a margarita glass because I thought it was fun!


Sunshine, the breakfast of champions!




Last night, while I was making my oats, my sister decided to whip up a batch of apple pie tops from "Oh She Glows" . I made these a while ago and everyone loved them! Too bad I didn't get to blog about it then, but everyone deserves a second chance. So this is my chance!

Itty-Bitty Apple Pies
ohsheglows.com

"Apple pie filling"
2 apples (I used one humongous golden delicious apple)
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp lemon juice

"Crust"
1.25 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

"Other..."
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets.
Peel apples. Take one apple and finely grate it. Take the other apple and chop it up into 1/2 inch pieces.
Add apples to a saucepan along with honey and lemon and heat on medium low for about 5 minutes (stir every couple of minutes while you mix up the rest of the ingredients.

Mix crust ingredients in a large bowl in the order as listed. In another bowl mix the "other" ingredients, as listed. Add apple mixture to the "other" mixture and lightly stir, then add to the "crust" mixture. Stir it all together!

Plop down a spoonful of the mixture onto the cookie sheet, not too large unless you want a larger cookie. Bake for 14 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then remove and enjoy!




Sounds like a lot of work for some little cookies, but trust me they are just so delicious!!


(This is my attempt at a photo shoot...)

So delicious! I highly recommend that you make these, they really taste like apple pie!! But they are quite healthy, unless you crumble them over ice cream  like moi...

I have something kind of cool to share, that is not about food miraculously.

Here are some clues:

A ribbon here



A pocket there


A rose up top



A seam down low



Voila! An apron. Made by me (and my mom!)

I love it! Sewing was definitely an adventure though. I thought that I was a very patient individual, but after having to cut this, sew that, press this, press this again, yes I had many a headache. But I learned how to hem and how to work the sewing machine. I have a bread recipe from my aunt that I am really looking forward to making, especially with my apron. Gone are the days when my family would laugh at the dusting of flour down the fronts of my shirts!

Have a lovely rest of the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment