Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dental Issues

I had to go to the dentist today. Blech. I don't know if you know this, but I absolutely dread the dentist. I even have anxiety over the appointments. It just isn't something that I look forward to. Because it is in no way fun. Sure, they try to get on my side with their frivolous gifts of toothbrushes and toothpaste, but you can't fool me. Oh, boy I am nobody's fool. For some reason I always leave the office in pain, both physical and psychological pain. Today was no different. For an hour and a half they poked, prodded, scraped, cut, took x-rays, and questioned me about my life. Don't misunderstand me, I am sure that they are great people blah blah blah, but I want nothing to do with them except a thumbs up for my checkup. That's it.

After an extremely painful day in the dentist's torture chamber office, I needed to cope with all the pent up anxiety, bad feelings, and overall painfully sore mouth. So I baked. Marvelous idea if I do say so myself. I know, brilliant. My Aunt sent me a really neat bread recipe and I have been itching to give it a whirl. I have been super busy though with volunteering, so my baking afternoons have been usurped by my making the world a little better. Today was different. Plus, it was raining so there is nothing that I would rather do on a rainy day than bake.



This recipe is really great because you can mix and match ingredients so that any combination is a crowd pleasing one. I made a whole wheat zucchini bread in my bread machine a while ago, so I thought that I would sort of replicate it with this new recipe.



Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

Step 1

Choose from an apple, pear, zucchini, carrot, shredded. Or a banana mashed. Whichever item that you choose make sure that it equals one cup.

I used zucchini because it is delicious!

Step 2

Choose from: Walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, dried cherries, dried cranberries, dried currants, raisins, dried figs, dried apricots, pitted dried dates, rolled oats, chocolate chips, and/or sweetened shredded coconut. Whatever you choose should equal 1.75 cups. Any nut combination should not exceed 3/4 cup.

I used 1 cup rolled oats and 3/4 cup chopped walnuts.

Step 3

Grease pan. You can either use 1 9x5 inch pan or 3 6x3 inch pans.

Step 4

Time to make the batter! In a large mixing bowl, combine:
1.25 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Add in your chosen ingredients from step 2 to the batter mixture.



In a small bowl combine:
2 eggs
1/2 cup cooled, melted butter or vegetable oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (Sour cream was the choice for me)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp citrus zest (optional) (I did not opt for the zest)



Whisk all wet ingredients together until well combined. Then add in the choice of your fruit or vegetable to the wet ingredients.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined.



Step 5

Bake! Pour batter into greased pan(s) and bake at 350F for 55 minutes for large loaves or 35-40 minutes for small loaves.

 Cool in pan for 30 minutes on a wire rack, then transfer out of pan and on to wire rack to cool completely.


Voila! A scrumptious bread from a wonderful recipe that just keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment