Thursday, June 9, 2011

Comfy Cozy Food

Even though it is summer and amazingly hot outside, I was craving something warm and comforting this afternoon. Maybe it was because of the icky weather outside, maybe it was because I just like comfort food, and maybe it was just an excuse to come up with another blog. The reason does not matter, all that matters is that something yummy went in the tummy (aka the bottomless pit). When I was little I really thought that the food that you ate went down to your toes and when it reached your head that's when you felt full. I was one creative thinker, still am!

Kasha is one of my favorite things to eat from my Polish heritage. Instead of making the traditional Christmas eve or Christmas dinner, my family and I make a Polish dinner. The best part, in my opinion, is the Kasha and bowtie dish (a dish that I am usually put in charge of). Kasha is buckwheat and super good for you. It does not have a particular flavor, but I think it is amazing. Of course, while I was craving something comfy cozy today one thing popped into my head, kasha. For some reason, I was also craving soup too, weird since it is ninety degrees outside. So I made a hybrid of Kasha and Vegetable soup, how brilliant!

Comfy Kasha Soup

Kasha:
2 Tbsp Kasha
2/3 cup water
dash of salt
Mix all in a microwave bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Soup:
I used a canned Progresso Vegetable soup.

Add 2/3 cup of soup to the kasha mixture, garnish with shredded cheese, salt, and pepper.

Serve with 5 minute pita chips and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment