Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gloomy Weather Can Be Made Better

I made chocolate chunk cookies for one of my neighbors after he got out of the hospital. The kid is already really skinny and after not eating as much as he should have for two weeks he was down right skeletal. I figured that my baking skills could help. I set out to make regular chocolate chip cookies from scratch but realized that we didn't have any chocolate chips. Such a travesty. With some creative thinking and an overwhelming will to bring this sick little guy some sweet treats, I decided to chop up some forgotten baker's chocolate squares. We all have our moments of brilliance and glory and this was mine. After baking the cookies my mother saw them and could not get over the fact that there were chocolate chunks. She is just as much of a chocolate lover as I am! Since the weather was so gross today and I had to do laundry (blech) I decided to whip up a batch of chocolate chunk cookies for my mom, because I wuv her.



Recipe from mybakingaddiction.com

Best Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1.5 cups butter (at room temperature)
1.25 cups granulated sugar
1.25 cups packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups chocolate chunks/chips/goodies

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, add butter, sugars, vanilla, and eggs. With an electric mixer, mix ingredients on medium speed until fluffy.


Add in baking soda, salt. Gradually add flour until dough is thick.
Gently fold in chocolate chips.


On an ungreased cookie sheet plop down the dough and bake for 11-13 minutes. 


Big cookies vs. little cookies 
That way everyone is happy!


Once out of the oven cool on hot sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.


Voila! My dad stopped by after work and tried one of these cookies. He actually complimented me on them, which is very rare. If asked by anyone if my dad likes some sort of food he always replies "I'm eating it aren't I?". So lovely. 



These are a guaranteed hit! 

Sometimes I love cloudy days (even though I would love them so so so much more if we got some rain!) because on these days baking feels comfy and laundry doesn't seem like such a horrid task. To go along with the gloomy outdoors, I watched "Wait Until Dark" which is such a great spooky movie with my favorite actress ever (Audrey Hepburn!!). I am the queen of multi-tasking! I wrote a blog piece, baked cookies, did laundry, watched a movie (a great one too!), and played with the pups. I should get paid for this, it's a full time job being me.

1 comment:

  1. I love baking on cloudy days. Your cookies would surely brighten up any storm. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete