Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bonjour Paris!

Bonsoir!

So, the sister is officially in Paris, France. The city of lights. The keeper of the Eiffel tower and the holder of Notre Dame. Which I think is absolutely amazing! I hope that she is having a blast and that she gets to taste a lot of wonderful food, and remember details about the food for when I go (hopefully).

In celebration of her departure I made a quite tasty dinner (chicken in a white whine sauce) and wanted to make a focaccia to go along with it (because every good dinner needs good bread). Tragedy struck, however, when I opened my bread machine, after it had gone through the process of kneading and rising,  to find a gloopy mess (kind of like the bagel mishap I had a couple of days before that). Something has to be off, my guess is the yeast. Yeast is really sensitive and I am like a bull in a china shop when I am baking so it's no surprise to me if I did something weird that left my yeast unusable.

I got a new jar of yeast today (woo!) and have begun the process of making French baguettes for my Mom's coworkers, hopefully this time it will work right!

Since I have been busy the past few days with helping my sister pack and such, I haven't had the time to write a post about some delicious granola bars that I whipped up recently. I actually ate one yesterday as we were on our way home from the airport. Strange enough, while I was at the airport, I saw a guy that was in my Statistics and Astronomy class my senior year. Weird running into him a couple of years after I graduated. Uber weird that he is in the same group going to Paris with my sister, small world right? Anyway, these are great granola bars! Originally they were Apricot and Pistachio bars, from carrotsncake.com, but I did not have either of these. Never fear, bars were made with a little creativity.

Dried Plum and Walnut Bars
(Good enough to eat at airports)

2.75 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp honey
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped dried plums (or any dried fruit)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever nut you have)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease an 8x8inch pan
Mix all ingredients (I mixed everything in the order listed, maybe because I know something about baking or not) until combined.
Pour contents into pan and bake for 25 minutes.
Cool completely in pan, cut, and enjoy!



For dinner tonight, I am going to try my hand at some French cooking with a "Cassoulet". It is going to be tres deliceux!

Au revoir mes amis!



No comments:

Post a Comment