Saturday, May 21, 2011

I'm Popular...at Elementary Schools

My mother dearest works at an Elementary school, it is such a cute school! I always feel so popular when I come to visit since everyone (from the principal to the school nurse) knows just who I am. I was invited to be a judge for an African-American historical contest on Friday, what an honor! It really was an honor considering my fellow judges including the supervisor of elections, a democratic representative for our county, a school board employee, and a published children's book author. The principal gave a little introduction to each of the judges to the fourth and fifth grade classes, each time I felt highly unqualified and a little silly to be there. I had a great time though and was really impressed by how passionate the students seemed to be learning! Half of the time I had no idea what the answers were, which made me feel like those poor souls on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?". I would definitely lose.

I got the chance to talk to the children's book author, who was very excited to get to know me. I explained to her that I was the founder and president of a student organization called "Real Men Read" at my University, a title that sounds more impressive than it actually is. Nevertheless, I had to undergo all of the twists and turns of the student government, which includes writing a constitution. The club had a tough start, especially since many elementary schools were skeptic of our group, especially when the president of that group is a girl. We got in a couple of volunteer events, including a couple at a nursing home and a local school. I am definitely going to channel more energy into the club this coming year, especially since I have some clue as to what I am doing.

After discussing the club, she told me that she would like to write about me in her blog! Like I am something special! The link to her blog is here, so check it out. Her website is also linked here The book that she wrote is called "Mrs. Garcia's Class Visits the Hospital". Kristy, the author, told me that she wrote the book when she was a teacher out in a kind of country bumpkin area not far from where I live. In asking the children what they wanted to be when they grew up, some responded with "I want to work at a gas station". The only gas station, she informed me, that was in the town. Kristy has always been dedicated to the healthcare system, which was inspiration for her book. The book acts as a means for motivation for elementary school children, knowing that such wonderful careers are out there and that doing well in school provides the hope for a promising future.


No comments:

Post a Comment