Monday, May 23, 2011

A Can of Hope

We are farmers. No not really, but my Dad does have a wonderful vegetable garden. It is filled with tomatoes, zucchini, beans, herbs (love fresh herbs in my backyard!), and jalapeños. Our jalapeños, rather, my Dad's jalapeños grow like crazy, we always have a huge amount of jalapeños in our fridge, on our counter, and sometimes in our bellies! I am a weakling when it comes to hot food; mild salsa is risky for me. Anyways, my parents decided to can their own jalapeños, how cool!


The colors are so vibrant!


They did such a fantastic job! 

What I love about this whole canning thing, is the cute jars that we have on stock. I may not be into jalapeños, but I am into overnight oats...


My Mother granted me permission to use on of the small jars for my oats, what a kind soul! I made some deeelicious overnight oats and ate them contentedly yesterday, a great way to start of a Sunday!

Rachie's Overnight Oats

1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3ish cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 banana mashed

Topping: almond nut butter and granola! 

In a bowl, mash banana, add in oats, milk, and extract. Stir lightly. If you are super cool then you can transfer your mixture into a jar of some sort. I even have a saved spaghetti sauce jar for those times I want an extra oomf. Refrigerate overnight, covered :)

I love spending the weekends with my family. This past Sunday my Mom and I went on a super long bike ride throughout our surrounding neighborhoods. It was nice to spend some time with her while we both enjoyed the fresh air and exercise. After the ride I did some pilates, DVD style. That afternoon my Mom, Sister, and I headed off to the mall. You see, the Sister is going to Europe in just a few weeks and she needs some last minute clothes. I can't believe that she is going to Europe! She will be gone for her birthday :( But she will be in Paris, France on her birthday too! I am slightly jealous, aren't little sisters supposed to do things after you? Well she wins in this case. So we searched our favorite stores in a surprisingly bustling mall, in search of suitable European wear.

 My sister has the best style, she is seriously fearless. Adorned with nude pink sheer tops, with peter pan collars, dark skinny jeans, combat boots, and a randomly adorable robot pendant necklace, she looks like she jumped straight out of the pages of teen vogue, or even vogue! Anyways, she is adorable and I can't wait for her to go off to Europe and tell me all about her adventures. I am living vicariously through her, debating whether or not I will ever have a turn to explore. Half of the time I feel guilty for having my parents help me pay for the a maybe study abroad trip. I have what I like to call the George Bailey syndrome. Have you ever seen "It's a Wonderful Life"? Well if you have, Jimmy Stewart plays the role of George Bailey. There is a point in the movie when he sacrifices his going away to college so that his brother can go. Similarly, he forgoes his fabulous honey moon trip (a tour through Europe) to save his father's company and the lives of many. Years later he finds himself stuck in that little life that he swore he would abandon for greater things. Same story on my side, only no one (including me), knows the ending. So is there hope for me?



No comments:

Post a Comment