Sunday, June 19, 2011

English Muffins

Happy Father's day!

Today started out very early for me, waking up at 6am is something that I am clearly not used to. But I was a girl on a mission, a mission to make english muffins for the family. My plan was to go to bed quite early so that it could be a little easier for me to wake up. Well, that did not happen. I was so excited that we got rye flour that I had to make some! I started the bread around 8:45pm, not really caring that it takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes for the bread machine to do its thing. Whoops. Oh well! The rye bread was so good this morning, along with watching the sun rise, and sipping some hot coffee (because I was not awake, not at all).

Sunrise!

Snickers eyeing that piece of bread...


Snickers big fat nose in my camera lens...


The rye bread!

Yum!



After mixing and kneading the english muffin dough, I went outside to get some pictures of the rye bread in the fresh morning light. Snickers followed me outside and tried her very best in snatching away the piece of bread that I was taking pictures of. Granted, it was on the ground, I guess she just doesn't understand what a blog is. She's darn cute though. Since I was waiting for the dough to rise, I shot some pictures of my Dad's garden. He works so hard in his gardens, and because of that we always have a ton of veggies and pretty flowers.

Dill weed flower

Rosemary

So colorful!

Purple flowers of some sort



Bring on the english muffins!

English Muffin Extravaganza 
Yields six muffins
{source}

2.25 cups flour (I used bread flour)
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1.25 tsp active yeast
1 Tbsp butter or shortening (at room temperature)
3/4 - 1 cup milk (enough to make a dough)

In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Mix in shortening and 3/4 cup milk (or more until soft dough emerges).
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about ten minutes, resist adding more flour dough will be sticky but very manageable after a couple of minutes of kneading.
Lightly oil a bowl, place dough ball in bowl and turn it so that all sides of the dough are coated with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for one hour.


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, sprinkle with corn meal. Separate the dough into six equal pieces and roll into a ball. Place balls on cookie sheet, allowing enough room between each so that they have room to rise. Sprinkle the tops of the dough balls with more cornmeal. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise one hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F and heat a greased skillet on medium high heat. Add about three of the balls of dough to the skillet, cooking for 5-8 minutes or until nearly burned, flip and repeat on other side.Repeat process until all muffins are browned.


 Place browned muffins on an ungreased cookie sheet.Bake for 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan immediately, cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
(They look like the real deal!)


Serve with butter, nut butter, or homemade jam/jelly!

The brother grumbled that they tasted better than store bought (grumbled this because he just woke up...). Thumbs up though from the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment