Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Danny and Annie


Hello old friend, I like to start our notes off as if we are the oldest and dearest friends, do you know that line from "You've Got Mail"? Now that the day is done, I find myself studying and listening to sappy, yet sweet love songs. I can't help myself when it comes to love songs- or what they really are is a procession of melodies entwined with soulful lyrics that make my heart go pitter-patter. One of my dear friends shared with me a touching interview of a couple whose love for each other truly tests the ends of time. The man, old in age now, writes his lady a love note every morning and leaves it for her to read. He explains how being married to someone he loves is the best thing that has ever happened to him, because he knows that whatever happens to him during the day he has someone waiting with a hug and a kiss for him at home. It was really challenging not to cry during the animated clip, especially as I am a romantic at heart. Shamelessly, I will sit here with my legs furled up underneath me, my body coddled in an oversize sweatshirt from high school, feeling sentimental and "lovey-dovey", as I continue listening to love songs while studying. What better way to spend the evening than to have hope revived that one day I will find someone that will write me love notes every morning?

Truthfully, I believe that everyone is searching for a relationship like the one depicted in the video. I sit in the dining hall, the library, lecture halls, and on random benches and the same conversation is continuously discussed, a conversation that is wholly devoted to one subject. Love. Love me tender. Love, love me do. Love lifts us up where we belong. As to paraphrase Seinfeld, yadda yadda yadda. From the vain sorority girls, to the social activist chick, everyone is talking about l-o-v-e, love. I suppose it is one of our greatest purposes in life, to find that one someone to create a bond that is like not other, one in which all of our fears and anxieties can rest upon. While our dreams may not all be to have that white-picket fence framed house in the suburbs, we can at least admit, if just for a moment, that love is the driving force behind much of our behavior and sense of purpose on this silly little planet. So, that tough guy in the gym, your English professor, lackadaisical brother, weird roommate, and beautiful best friend are all looking for love. Oh, and so am I!

Until the fireworks and wedding bells, enjoy the video.



No comments:

Post a Comment