Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Morning Cookie Monster

Good morning y'all. Ready for Tuesday?

This morning was...hot. I feel like I talk about the heat 98.8789% of the time in my posts. I probably do. But wow, at 8am the heat index was already 96 degrees. For some reason I decided to do an interval running workout. I am a little crazy, I know. But if I can get through 2.5 miles in 100 degree heat, I am pretty sure that anything else would seem peachy keen.

I am volunteering again at Hospice today. Yay filing! It is reassuring to think that because I can alphabetize and organize things by date, I can find a job. Pretty cool. The work is pretty tedious and repetitive, but I love the women that I work with. I was assigned to the secretaries of the office as a helper. I don't know why I was assigned here, but I feel like I fit in pretty well. The women are hilarious, they have their cubicles decorated, and tease each other like old friends. You need some humor in your life when you are working with Hospice. I really do like the job, even though it is only a volunteer thing.

To get ahead of the game I am going to share a yummy cookie/cake ball recipe early. I know, last night was a breakfast post, this morning is a cookie/cake ball post. Oh well, I will get over the blog-jag soon enough. Enough about that, on to the cookies!

My birthday falls around Easter time. For years, whenever my grandparents would come to visit for either my birthday or Easter (or both), they would bring a carrot cake. Not just a carrot cake. A carrot cake from Publix, which makes the cake just that much better. So I have become conditioned to crave carrot cake for my birthday. Not really. But it is definitely my favorite cake. I stumbled upon a carrot cake ball recipe a while ago and deemed it worthy of my making it.

Mini Carrot Cake Balls
{source}

1/2 cup carrots, shredded and tightly pack
1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water overnight
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Measure out 1/4 cup raisins and place in water overnight. I highly recommend that you do this, the raisins are just divine!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Measure your dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.



 Add in chopped walnuts, raisins, and shredded carrots.



In a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, honey, and vanilla. Pop in the microwave for about 20 seconds and give it a stir.

Add the oil to the dry ingredient bowl and stir.

Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. Measure out about 1 Tbsp of dough and place 2 inches apart. Roll the dough into a tightly packed ball with your hands.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes remove from oven and let cool on the hot sheet for 10 minutes.



Voila! Delicious, bite size, and better for you than the original cake!


I wish that these pictures came out better. Oh well, they are not for looking at, they are for eating. nom nom.

Have a lovely Tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment