Monday, July 25, 2011

How to Impress

Sundays have become my favorite day of the week. This transformation started and finished this summer. There is just something about Sunday, especially Sunday morning. No one and nothing is in a hurry, the streets are still and tranquil, and the days are usually bright and warm. There is no better feeling than waking up early on a Sunday morning, baking some delicious bread or english muffins, and reading the Sunday paper. Well, at least the comic strips.

On Sundays, my family and I usually like to do a special dinner. These dinners are usually planned and cooked by my dad, since he is really into bbqing and grilling. I am more of a bread person, so I hardly come into contact with meat. That is until yesterday. For years I avoided eating ribs, I just did not find the meat appetizing. The meat always seemed chewy and hard to bite off the bone. I am not cool with bones in my meat, therein lies the dilemma. But, I was watching Paula Deen's "Best Dishes" on the food network and she made these ribs that literally fell off the bone with a single poke of the fork. I was a girl hooked. I made it my mission to cook these fantastical looking ribs. So, naturally, I did.

This recipe is sure to impress anyone, especially your family. Since when did you become a wonderful chef? Since when did you know how to handle meat, let alone spare ribs? Since when did you know what spare ribs are? The questions will roll out endlessly.

How-to-Impress-Your-Family-Ribs


[source]

1 rack spare ribs

Dry Rub:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup fajita seasoning
1 Tbsp paprika

Sauce:
1/2 cup beer
2 cloves garlic
1.5 Tbsp honey
1.5 Tbsp worchestire sauce
1 Tbsp brown mustard

To start, trim the ribs of any excess fat. In a small bow, mix in the ingredients of the dry rub. Use half the rub for one side of the ribs, the other half for the other side of the ribs. With your hands, rub the dry rub all over the ribs. Super fun. Wrap ribs in plastic wrap really well, this helps lock in the flavor. Refrigerate overnight.

Heat oven to 250 degrees F

Next, in a large bowl, mix the ingredients for the sauce in a medium size bowl. Set aside.Tear off two sheets of heavy duty foil. Unwrap the ribs from the plastic wrap and place meat side up on the shiny side of the foil. Place the other sheet of foil, shiny side up, on top of the ribs. Begin to seal the foil up by double folding the sides, leaving one side open. Carefully, pour sauce into hole, and finish sealing the sides of the foil.

Place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven. Roast for 4 hours at 250 degrees F.

After four hours, carefully open the tin foil and pour the sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a boil for about 5-7 minutes. Brush sauce over the ribs.

Heat broiler and broil ribs for 5-7 minutes. Remove and serve!


(this picture does not do these ribs justice)


Voila! Delicious ribs that are sure to impress!

Along with the ribs, we had grilled veggie skewers, texas toast, coleslaw, and homemade arnold palmers!




Arnold Palmer, served in a mason jar with a lemon wedge. I was more excited for the drink than the ribs!

We all enjoyed the dinner. My brother even baked the bread and then used it for the texas toast. Can you say authentic?


Baby jean jean (as Regine is now known) loves to swim. Not.








No comments:

Post a Comment