Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Junk Food Hangover

Bonsoir! You know those days where somehow time passes but you feel like it has only been ten minutes? I totally had one of those days today, suddenly it is five o'clock. Five o'clock! I need more time than just 24 measly hours. I should just stop sleeping, then I can really get some work done! It was also one of those sans milk days. The kind where you pour a perfect bowl of your favorite cereal, add your fruit toppings, turn to the fridge to the grab the milk and find that there is no milk. Not a single drop. I was not about to let that stop me from eating cereal so I hopped in the car to the closest convenient store, chose an icy cold gallon of milk, and then raced home, knowing that the golden bowl of cereal was awaiting me. Plus, I had just gotten done doing pilates, so I definitely had an appetite.

I am still hunting for a summer job, where do these things hide? It can be really overwhelming at times knowing that I have gone quite a while without working. I am so used to my job at school as a tutor that I really take it for granted. It is the perfect job! I know that somehow I will find something to do (hopefully). In the meanwhile, I will keep pounding the pavement, blogging, and spending quality time with my dogs and my family, after all isn't that what summer vacation is supposed to be? A vacation?  Sometimes not so much as a college student, or an adult (what an icky word).

In between sending out job resumes, prying little puppies out from under the couch, and shuttling kids to and from school I was able to work out a little frustration through culinary creativity (cool alliteration!).

These are my "The Breakfast of Champions" bars, created by moi :)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1.5 cups slivered almonds (or other nut)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup craisins
1/2 ripe banana (chopped)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1 egg

Easy peasy directions:

Heat oven to 325 degrees F
Roast almonds (or other nut) on a cookie sheet for 8 minutes, set aside to cool.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F
Stir in dry ingredients (flour, oats, salt, baking powder, spices).
Stir in wet ingredients (vanilla extract, craisins, banana, shredded carrots, milk, honey, and 1 egg).



Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, or grease to your desire, pour in mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, take caution to check it often!
Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan to a wire rack, cool completely.
Cut into 6 large bars.




Voila!

A breakfast bar truly worthy of champions! Or a snack bar, or a just because bar, or a I feel guilty for eating 2 bowls of chocolate ice cream drizzled in fudge, caramel, topped with browine/cookies pieces, and with oodles of sprinkles so I'll eat something healthy this morning. C'mon, we've all had those days, it's live a junk food hang over the next morning :)

Have a lovely Wednesday evening!

P.s go for the ice cream sundae, these babies will remedy everything in the morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment